Tuesday, January 26, 2010

ilovemylife :)

I am (for some unknown-to-me-reason) really happy with my life right now. Here are a few reasons why:

:: Life in general is going smoothly. Dan has a predictable work schedule. The kids are for the most part, well-behaved and kind to each other. Will's school is going great, and the other two totally revel in their just-them playtime. Nice. Almost shockingly so.

:: The kids go to bed earlyish (7:30 or 8) leaving me with hours of quiet before bedtime to fill. When I'm caught up on my "have-to's", I can get to my "want-to's", like scrapbooking, quilting and watching the news. And I LOVE my craft/laundry room. I can do little bits here and there, work on laundry, and then close the door without having to pack everything up and put it up out of reach.

:: Outdoor time. As I mentioned before, one of my goals for the new year was to get the kids outside for an hour every school day, no matter the weather. I don't know if it's psychological or what, but I've been doing it, and it's been great for everyone, me included!

:: Reading with the kids. Another goal of mine was to read more to the kids--not typical kids board books, but longer (but still interest-catching) ones. Will and I read a lot for school (we're currently reading Dr. Doolittle) but I felt like the other two were getting shortchanged a little. So every day after our outside time, we read for 30 or 40 minutes, all together under blankets on the couch. They love it, and so do I. And, it ends up being the perfect segue into quiet/nap time.

:: I'm was asked to serve on a United Way appropriations committee. Even though I don't do much, I am glad to be serving in a small way.

:: I am consistently getting up before the kids and getting my devotions, computer/email check and breakfast prep done. It mentally puts me on top of the whole day... as much as I am bargaining mentally for another 10 min. at 6:30... :)

:: Juicing. I cringe even writing this, because I do not consider myself at ALL a health nut. I kind of grew up that way (health-nutty, that is), and although I try to generally buy whole-grain, steer clear of HFCS, and eat lots of fruits and veggies... well let me just say that Swiss Miss WITH marshmallows has become a staple around here, and the kids and I just finished off a bag of Sour Patch Kids earlier today. :) (They are still the best thing ever made. But I digress...) SO. A few years ago (10?) when my mom started the whole carrot juicing thing, I was just like, "NO WAY am I getting on that bandwagon! Juicing is for.. weird people." ANYway, Dan (of course!) happens to love carrot juice, and had been on me for a few years (I know, I'm bad, right?!) to start juicing. I had a whole litany of reasons why it was not for me/us/our family, but finally, I gave in, bought a juicer, and then... after another year or so went by... I finally, guilt-ridden, started juicing this fall. I don't know if that's what has been the factor (I don't know what else if could be; I haven't made any other major life changes... or minor, now that I think about it) but Dan and the kids, who usually battle several ear or sinus infections, bad colds, etc. etc. etc. every winter (and that I had always written off to being normal for wintertime) have been extraordinarily healthy this winter. Hallie had a cough for about a week last month, and all the kids had minor colds a few months back, but we have had no doctor's visits, no antibiotics, no infections... It's been really great. I don't know if it's the juice or not, but I'm afraid to quit now! (For the record: I don't touch the stuff. It is not for the faint of heart. Dan and the kids miraculously all love it, so I don't complain about making it. But seriously. Ick. It's so.. !! Anyway. Enough on that.

:: Budgeting. I know, how geeky am I that this is one of the things that I love about my life. For all of our marriage, we have tried to stay on a budget and track our spending, blah blah blah, but it never really worked, leading to much frustration all around, and me (finances-girl) throwing in the towel and retrying several times over. Anyway, in August, I started using this software called Mvelopes (mvelopes.com) and WOW, it has made such a difference. We are saving and staying on budget like never before! **Cue happy music in Sarah's heart.** Ok, you can laugh. I'm lame. I don't care. :)

:: Reading. Dan got me a kindle for our anniversary (you probably wisely skipped my long nook v. kindle blog posts, where I hashed out which was right for me..) Anyway, living in a pretty rural area, with little convenient (or more importantly, sans kids!) access to libraries and/or bookstores, the kindle has been great. I LOVE the free sample feature, which lets you read the first 2 chapters of any book before you buy it. It solves all my "I don't like this book, now I have to get back to the store to return in in the next 90 days" dilemmas quite nicely. :)

:: We got our "on deck" email from our adoption agency at the end of December. That means that if all goes as planned, we should be getting our referral for our little girl in the next 2 months! We've been officially waiting since July, and now that it's really getting closer, I am feeling really ready. I know the term "paper-pregnant" is cheesy, but it's pretty accurate. I don't look pregnant, but really, I am. :)

:: That's all that comes to mind right now. Dan and I watched The Hurt Locker last night, and all during the show I just kept thinking... man, I am so. freaking. blessed. I have such an easy life-- so far removed from war and violence and hunger and disease... It kind of makes me feel bad, like, why should I have such a good life, when others have so little? I don't know. I don't know, but I am truly humbly grateful to the Lord for all I have. He certainly didn't have to give me the life I have, but He did, and I am so. very. grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! It's great to take stock of our lives once in awhile and find what makes up happy. All to often we as moms can get caught up in the day to day grind like laundry and can fail to appreciate the good stuff. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, love catching up with you on your blog. You have a thankful heart! Juicer, hmm...I should think about that one. What would happen if you added raw milk + the juice into that healthy equation?

    ReplyDelete