Opposite Extremes.... welcome to my life. :)

Friday night I went to Young Adults Rec Night at our old church's gym. This is a night where college-kids-and-above gather to beat the crap out of each other. *ahem* Actually, we play 5 hours of hardcore kickball, dodgeball, wallyball, and awesomeball. (That last being a game similar to ultimate frisbee, but played with a rugby ball and full-on tackles. Game on.)

Anyway, after disbanding around midnight and falling into bed 20 min. later... I am officially SORE today. Yesterday I felt pretty good, but today, geez.... my butt, quads, arms and abs just HURT. It was loads of fun and (apparently) an awesome workout to boot. So that was Friday night-- seriously one of the most fun nights I've had in a long time.

~~

Saturday night, Dan and I were invited (by a lawyer-friend of Dan's) to a fundraiser dinner for the CYC at an exclusive club. The tickets were $125 apiece, (Ridiculous, if you ask me. But since the whole thing was a fundraiser, I didn't mind that much, especially since we weren't paying. :D Anyway.)

The place was packed out with snooty-falooties, and when only 5 minutes into the evening, Dan strikes up conversation with a guy who he sits on the board of the Y with, I am mentally starting to freak out. I know no one here. I do not fit in here at all. I have no clue who the guy Dan is talking to is, or what they are talking about. I stick out (in my mind) like a sore thumb. I have nothing in common with these people. I excuse myself to the coat room to hang up my coat-- and chew myself out. "Pull yourself together! Be gracious. Act interested in what people are saying. Laugh easily. Be yourself."

With a huge sigh of bravado (which I totally didn't feel) I made my way back into the packed room. I decided to sidestep Dan and his pal and instead grabbed a drink and started watching the Kansas State-Butler game. Randomly, the lawyer who invited us was walking by, recognized me, and struck up a conversation. Twenty minutes later, Dan showed up... and things went smoothly the rest of the evening. Even though I lost every item I bid on in the silent auction, and a public school teacher was full-out rude to me about homechooling, the food was great, and I was able to relax, and was part of a very interesting conversation to boot!

Moral of the story: Even though I feel infinitely more comfortable in ratty clothes taking people out on a basketball court, I can hold my own in civilized society. Good to know. ;)

Comments

  1. I love it, Sarah. The most important thing is to be yourself. Who cares if you stick out like a sore thumb? But I'm sure you did not!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing pains

Saturday 7 (x2)

Fresh Air Fund Update