Book Review: I Am Hutterite

This memoir by Mary-Ann Kirkby describes her growing-up years in a conservative Canadian Hutterite community, and her struggles and insecurities in the transition to the outside world, once her parents left the community when she was 11. 

I was expecting this book to be along the lines of "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall (previously of the FLDS)-- full of tragedy and human suffering. It surprised me with it's non-condemnation of the Hutterite community lifestyle, and it's open admiration for many of their traditions. I enjoyed the book, especially once I got going. At the beginning I found Mary-Ann's history of her grandparents lives somewhat dry. Also, her use of the German-based Hutterite language throughout the book, especially the more frequent usages in the beginning of the book, disrupt the flow of reading and become merely a nuisance to be skipped over while reading. Overall I enjoyed the book and found it an interesting read.

Comments

  1. You might be interested in my blog as I try to chronicle the life of a everyday Hutterite...I was born and raised in a Hutterite colony and still live in one. I have my personal review of this book posted on my blog as well. I have somewhat of a different perspective on it.

    http://blogs.allhutterites.com/lightofevenstar/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing pains

Saturday 7 (x2)