Friday, February 28, 2014

Update

Well. It's been 4 months since I last blogged so I decided since the kids are all (all?!) upstairs happily busy playing restaurant together with Olivia's play kitchen, I should use these precious few minutes of daytime peace and quiet to update the blog world. (I know, my priorities rock.)

So let's see... what's new....

Me: I began running last October out of sympathy for a friend who had failed to qualify for Boston and who wanted me to run a consolation race with her. (It is widely known that I hate running so this was a very generous move on my part.) Since there was no way in hades I would be able to go from literally zero cardio endurance to running a half-marathon in 4 months time, I decided to go with a run-walk program. I started out walking a minute for every 2 minutes I ran, then upped it to 3/1. And I have to say, this tactic totally changed my life. Getting on the treadmill and staring at 20/30/45 minutes was horrrrrible and impossible. But anyone can do two or three minutes of anything, right? Right. So I pushed through every single one of those 3-minute increments and sighed in rapturous delight every time I got to walk for one whole amazing minute. The race was the first weekend in Feb and I finished in 2:33. No land speed record there, but I am proud to say that I did my 3/1 plan the whole way through and felt great during (and after!) Upon completion I immediately decided I should keep the momentum going and do another race at the end of April. So I started my training plan over again and, on a whim, upped my run/walk to 7/1 to see if I could do it. I didn't die, so I am going to try to keep it up and see how it goes.

I've been interested in essential oils for a few months now. I read a few blogs and have a few friends who swear they are the best thing everrrrrr for every ailment and sickness known to mankind. The Young Living oil company annoys me because of its MLM marketing scheme (I know, that's kinda judge-y ;)) so I poked around online a little and found Rocky Mountain Oil. They have the same oil blends as YL for way less $$! Win! So I ordered a few last night and will let you know (you know, in like a year) how they end up working for us and if we are all magically cured of all our sniffles and tummy aches. :)

As you all likely know, I finished my BA last summer. All homeschooled kids in PA have to do standardized testing (required in 3rd, 5th and 8th grade, but I'm awesome and make my kids test every year.) Anyway, to be a testing proctor you have to have your bachelor's degree and this year, for the first time ever, I get to realize one of my childhood dreams (I aim high, right?!)... and be a test administrator. YES. :)

Kids: All four of the munchkins were in a kids theater production of The Aristocats last month. While they all enjoyed it, Will LOVED it and begged to sign up for their next production, a kids' version of Grease. Well wouldn't you know, he got a fairly big role, and gets to sing and dance with our sweet neighbor girl, who is Sandy! heehee! He is really good at acting (my biased opinion, but he really is good and has literally no stage fright) ...and after striking out with sports and music, it's awesome to see him plugging into something he loves to do.

Everyone is doing really well overall. Besides our normal school routine, we've been swimming at the Y every week with the homeschoolers, going on field trips, hitting the library etc. etc. ... as well as trying to avoid getting stuck in the 10ft high piles of snow everywhere. ;)

Dan: Nothing terribly new or exciting to report here either. He continues to love his job (working with the Child Predator Unit for a top-secret, not-to-be-named employer) and is kicking butt all over the place. Hide yo kids, hide yo wives and hide yo husbands.... if you're a creeper, they're coming for ya!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment